Recreation Ground Deed of Trust

On the 21st December 1925 the land known as Little Field was sold to the Trustees by the Rev Robert Doble, acting for the Church, to be held in trust for the use and benefit of the inhabitants of Great Chesterford as a recreation ground. It was signed by all the...

Village Hall

Cedar wood village hall built on Rose Lane in 1954 after 25 years of fund-raising. The land was purchased from Benskins Watford Brewery, owners of the Crown and Thistle. At that time the brewery owned the land from the Crown and Thistle to Rose Lane. The Deed of Trust...

All Saints Church

Photograph of a drawing of All Saints Church by William Cole made in 1744. The Church has the original tower and the village is known as Chesterford Magna.

Carmel Street – The Old Bakery

Charles ‘Stodgy’ Searle ran the bakery from c.1912-1937 when Mr Bert Cole took over. It closed in 1953 and was converted to a private house. It lost its Grade 2 listing after a disastrous fire in the 1980s. The photograph shows the Searles standing in...