On the evening of 11th November 1918 a large congregation attended a thanksgiving service in All Saints to celebrate the signing of the armistice. The vicar The Rev. Allen gave an impressive address commenting the victory and a collection was made for a fund to provide a lasting memorial for the boys who had given their lives to save the country.

On Sunday 14th November 1920 the Great Chesterford Memorial to the fallen heroes of the Great War was unveiled and dedicated, in the presence of nearly 1,000 people. The memorial consists of a cross of Portland stone standing 20 feet high on an octagonal base with three tiers. On the cross is a bronze figure of Our Saviour. The service for the unveiling took place at 3 o’clock and was conducted by the vicar The Rev J. Wynn-Davies and Mrs Stanley, wife of Lieut. Col. A. W. Stanley, unveiled the memorial.

This year the Great Chesterford Scouts, Guides, Cubs and Beavers attended the Remembrance Day Service in All Saints Churchyard, having paraded through the village (the picture was taken in 2019 in fine sunny weather; this year 2023 the service was again well attended, but in the rain.

File Type: jpg
File Size: 243 KB
Categories: Photograph
Tags: Scouts, War Memorial
Author: Kate McManus. John French