Photograph of The Old Vicarage on Church Street taken in 1912, looking south. It is rumoured that a set of six silver bells from the Church were hidden in a passageway between the Vicarage cellar and the Crown House Hotel to save them from Cromwell’s troops during the Civil War. They have never been found but some indication of a passage was found when workmen discovered the remains of what could have been a passage when  Church Street was dug up due to roadworks.

File Type: jpg
Categories: Photograph
Tags: Church St, Old Vicarage