Dr William Stukeley, a noted antiquarian, first visited the site of the Roman Town in Chesterford in 1719. At that time the Roman town walls were still visible above ground and he was upset by how villagers were using the stones from the wall as bottoming for roads and buildings. He made this drawing of the town layout, locating it with the village houses around it and notably calling the town Camboritum, this name has since been disputed.

Categories: Document, Photograph
Tags: Camboritum, Roman, Stukeley