In 1931, Mr Arthur Halls was Section Leader of the Chesterford Fire Brigade. The manual engine was an improvement on the old steam engine. It was kept at the Old Engine House on St John’s Cross, opposite the shop and would have been pulled by four horses from the pubs or the brewery and required ten men. It was also kept in a barn next to the Old Vicarage from where it was pulled by horses from the Elm Tree Pub. The crew were still unpaid volunteers some of whom had attended the Little Chesterford fire.

File Type: jpg
File Size: 233 KB
Categories: Photograph
Tags: fire brigade, fire engine, Halls