This photograph shows the blacksmith’s forge on the High Street next to Kents.  Arthur Kent was blacksmith until 1911 when Percy Smith took it over until it closed in 1950. In 1971 his wife Emily demolished the forge and built a bungalow now much altered and known as Blacksmith’s Cottage. There was another blacksmith on Rose Lane. On the right hand side of the photograph are Kents Cottages.  For more information see ‘Commerce in Great Chesterford 1900-1950’ by Ian Deatker, available from the Society.

Categories: Photograph
Tags: blacksmiths, High St, Kents, Smith