Photograph of Great Chesterford School taken in the late 19th early 20th century. The school was built in 1845 on land purchased by Lord Charles Hervey from Robert Cottingham with the purpose of providing education for poor children. It was to be controlled by the Vicar of the parish. The school had one large room, with one small room off and a Headmaster’s House. From 1946-1974 the Headmistress was Miss Marjorie Pye. On her retirement she was given a hand embroidered table cloth with the names of all her pupils. For more information on the school see ‘A Village School, 1849-1999’, by Elizabeth Marshall, available to purchase from the Society.

Categories: Photograph
Tags: Cottingham, Hervey, junior, school