Copy of an article called “Chesterford Park Big Bang” written by Peter Carter, a Schering employee working at Hauxton.  The Park was bought by Pest Control in 1952 and was later called Chesterford Park Research Station. A consequence of the 1944 explosion was the amount of ammunition which was spread over the entire area and small explosions could be heard daily as these were collected and detonated. The photograph shows the amount of ammunition unearthed in 1987. At the time of the explosion, Peter Carter was living in Eagle Lodge in the Park. For more information on the explosion and its consequences see “Disaster at the Park”, by Janet Clark, available from the Society.

Categories: Document, Photograph
Tags: Carter, explosion, park