Village Shop – Shelford

Envelope addressed to Mr William Shelford, Draper, Chesterford near Saffron Walden, Essex. The postmark Is N.E. London 1866 and it is stamped with a Victorian penny red. Unfortunately the envelope is empty.

Village Shop – Kemp’s

Photograph taken in 1963 of the shop assistants in Kemp’s Shop, from left to right Mrs March, Marion Searle and Mrs Cadwallader.

Village Shop – Thurgood’s

Photograph of  Mr William Thurgood with Charles Andrews, a shop assistant behind the counter of Thurgoods shop on St John’s Cross.

Chesterford Stores Renovation, Front

Photograph showing the demolition of the front of Chesterford Stores on St John’s Cross in the 1990s. This area of the building became a private house called The Courtyard.

Chesterford Stores Renovation, Side

This photograph shows Chesterford Stores being turned into two private houses in the 1990s, showing the timber construction of the walls. This particular photo shows The Long House on Carmel Street.