Chesterford Stores Renovation, Front

Photograph showing the demolition of the front of Chesterford Stores on St John’s Cross in the 1990s. This area of the building became a private house called The Courtyard.

Village Shop – Londis

By 1989 Chesterfords Stores on St John’s Cross had become part of the Londis franchise. In the 1990s the shop was closed and the building split in two to become private dwellings, The Courtyard and The Long House.

Village Shop – Thurgood’s

By 1929 Mr William Thurgood had taken over the large shop on St John’s Cross from Mr Kerridge. William came from London and was a successful businessman.  He installed electricity and improved on the poor standard of the shop as it had been under Mr Kerridge. ...