Recreation Ground Deed of Trust

On the 21st December 1925 the land known as Little Field was sold to the Trustees by the Rev Robert Doble, acting for the Church, to be held in trust for the use and benefit of the inhabitants of Great Chesterford as a recreation ground. It was signed by all the...

Kerosene Record Card

A Kerosene Record Card issued by the Ministry of Fuel and Power in 1946/47. After the war fuel was in short supply and records were kept on suppliers and customers. The supplier in this case was Mr Holman from the shop on School Street. He probably supplied most of...

Fire Brigade – Steam Engine

T & H King’s manual fire engine used during the Little Chesterford fire. It took almost an hour to get there by which time much of the village had been destroyed.

Home Guard

A group photo of the Chesterford Home Guard which operated from 1940-1944, it was started and led by Norman King owner of Kings Mill. To find out more about the Home Guard and the names of those in the photograph see ‘Chesterfords at War’, by John French,...

King George’s Letter

Letter from King George V sent to every soldier who had been wounded in the First World War.